Hayes Valley

Hayes Valley


After the 1849 gold rush, Italian immigrants settled and farmed what is now Hayes Valley, that area of San Francisco between Alamo Square and the Civic Center. The fertile land was fed by Hayes Creek which now runs underneath the tiny neighborhood. Most of the neighborhoods buildings withstood the 1906 earthquake and fire.

In the 1950’s the Central Freeway brought urban blight and crime to Hayes Valley until the freeway was demolished after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Hayes Valley was revitalized with Hayes Green, a community park, green spaces and an urban farm project by Hayes Valley Farms, in the tradition of the area’s beginnings 150 years ago. Neighborhood businesses opened in the ‘90’s and Hayes Street, between Octavia and Gough streets, grew into an eclectic, vintage meets funky chic shopping area. Art galleries mix with trendy restaurants and designer boutiques.

The southern part of Octavia Street is home to fabulous antiques. Near Little Saigon and the Tenderloin there are over 200 thriving Vietnamese-owned businesses. Patricia’s Green, part of Hayes Green, contains a children’s playground and art exhibits.





Partly Cloudy
48°
Partly Cloudy